Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How likely is it for me to have diabetes


How likely is it for me to have diabetes?
for most of my childhood, I had a very unhealthy diet. when I got into high school, I began eating healthier....only water, very little sweets, nothing fried. towards the end of high school, I became a vegetarian. I'm twenty years old now, and I'm still a vegetarian and I eat very little dairy (I'm borderline vegan). I also workout. I've been eating extremely healthy latley. there is no diabetes in my family, but I was reading the symptoms of diabetes mellitus and I've had some of those symptoms. such as heart palpitations, tingling in the feet (not all the time, but every once and a while), I've been getting headaches a lot for the past year or so (but I'm doctor said they are tension headaches), I get lightheaded sometimes, and whenever I eat something really sweet my stomach feels weird....although I don't know if that really matters. I almost never get sick. I will catch a cold maybe once or twice a year that will last for a couple of days and then go away.
Diabetes - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
All those symptoms could come from other conditions, not necessarily diabetes. But there's a very simple answer to your question: ask a doctor to order a blood test for you. It's as simple as that. If you have your blood drawn first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with having no food, alcohol, or water the previous 12 hours, it will show you your blood glucose reading. If your fasting blood glucose is higher than 125, you have diabetes. Simple as that. If your fasting blood glucose is between 70 and 110 you are normal.
2 :
I don't find it very likely at all that you are diabetic. The symptoms you describe are more probably a deficiency of vitamin D and Vitamin B12. Those are very easy to alleviate. Vitamin D3, 400 caps, 5000 IU at Sam's Club are about $10. B12 would be a little bit more. I appreciate your change in diet. My two oldest granddaughters are vegetarian. Ages 18 and 16. One thing I've tried to emphasize with them is the value of a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. A short, six minute video, by Dr Joel Fuhrman has a chart of the most nutrient dense foods. He says that most vegetarians get most of their calories from grains and oils, and that can't be a healthy diet. They are also symptomatic of aspartame poisoning. If you are using diet foods, eliminate them for 30 days and see if the symptoms go away.
3 :
not likely
4 :
Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes typically presents with increased appetite, weight loss despite increased intake, increased thirst, increased urination, and feeling quite ill. Type 2 diabetes typically presents with vague or no symptoms at all. I do not know what you were reading buy palpitations are not associated with diabetes and in fact are quite common in perfectly healthy individuals. Occasional 'tingling' in the feet is of very doubtful significance. Your headaches have been assessed by your physician and the diagnosis was tension or 'muscle' headaches not diabetes. Occasional lightheadedness is common. If you are not accustomed to 'sweets' they may cause you to feel unpleasant. It sounds as if you are quite healthy and that your physician has assessed your circumstance and found no cause for alarm. If I may be of further assistance please let me know. I wish you the very best of health and in all things may God bless.





Read more discussions :