Monday, February 4, 2013

Can anyone tell me or give me an idea of just how serious this is


Can anyone tell me or give me an idea of just how serious this is?
Two weeks ago, I went to my regular doctor because I was sick, running fever. While I was there, I asked him about some problems I had been having occasionally with my arms, hands and fingers being numb when I first woke up and once I got to work and was doing a certain job first thing in the morning. He referred me for a Nerve Conduction Test. I received the results Friday. This is what the results say (which I don't quite understand all of it because I am not a nurse nor do I work in the medical field)... Abnormal study in showing diffuse slowing of Sensory Conduction Velocity of all 3 major nerves in both Upper extremities. Bilateral Ulnar Nerves are affected the most at 34 - 35 meters per second (N=>50 m/s). The second in order to be affected is the right Radial Nerve at 39 meters per second (N=>60 m/s) compared to the Left Radial Nerve at 40 meters per second (N=>60 m/s). The Left Median Nerve is slightly more slow at 34.5 meters per second (N=>50 m/s) compared to Right Ulnar Nerve at 36 meters per second (N=>50 m/s). The Motor Conduction Velocities for both Median nerves are within normal limit. The Motor Conduction Velocities for the Ulnar Nerves are abnormal in showing significant drop in the Conduction Velocity across the elbow joint suggestive of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. The F-Wave latencies are within normal limits ruling the possibility of Cervical Radiculopathy at this juncture. Impression/Recommendations: Significantly abnormal study to show pretty advanced Cubital Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Patient needs to be referred for surgery as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage to both his/her Ulnar Nerves. Slow Sensory Conduction Velocity do indicate the systemic processes such as Diabetes Mellitus, hypothyroidism and Rheumatoid arthritis as possible contributing factors. The results of the test were written by a Neurologist. I do not completely understand what all the details mean and would like them explained if at all possible. The part I DO understand is about being referred for surgery as soon as possible. My regular doctor's nurse told me it would be surgery on both hands/arms (not real sure whether it's my wrists, elbows or exactly where). I should get a call tomorrow letting me know when I will see the Orthopedic but I would like to have an idea of just how serious this is beforehand since everything with my job involves me using my hands, arms, and wrists.
Other - Health - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
get a second opinion before surgery then get another , find a dr who will address the cause of problem . nerves in wrist go in carpel tunnel it is a small space and inflammation can make it smaller putting pressure on nerves. repetitive motions, like typing can cause inflammation. it could also be periphrial neuropathy and surgery will not de as helpful, my mom had that. massage, yoga, thia-chi, meditation, and others may help you to destress, and may help with any inflammation. Get a second and third opinion before surgery, look up the procedure on web md, for more info.






 Read more discussions :