Sunday, June 1, 2008

How long can be the honemoon period in diabetes mellitus


How long can be the honemoon period in diabetes mellitus.?
My daughter (13 years) who is diabetic since last 3 and a half months takes only 4 units of levemir insulin per day, doctors say that she may be going through honeymoon period. How long it can lost or is there some hope....?
Diabetes - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i am 28year old male from Australia. i have had diabetes for 5 years. when i was first diagnosed i was using very little insulin. but i gradually started using more. so I'm sure it would be different in each person but i have been on around the same dose for about 3 years i still do change my dose a bit to suit. i would say its best to speak to a diabetes doctor to get a better answer. I'm using 30 units of actrapid and 20 units of lantus a day.
2 :
Please see the webpages for more details on Diabetes mellitus Type I. The blood sugar level in a diabetic patient has to be controlled by diet, exercise and drugs. It is always variable. By trial and error, you will able to decide correctly the quality and quantity of diet and insulin.
3 :
It depends on the person. I've been diabetic for 28 yrs my honeymoon period lasted almost 2-yrs. Unfortunatley... I think when you ask if there is hope that you mean she doesn't really have diabetes....She does I was hoping the doctors were wrong too. Good news is that there has been some really great advances in treatments and regulating blood sugar levels. Make sure she tests her glucose often to keep her levels in a normal range. I test 6 times a day. It's is difficult sometimes...but in the long run she will be healthier. Give her a lot of encouragement.... teenage years are difficult enough but even harder when you're trying to deal with managing diabetes. I'm hoping a cure is close. I am positive that she will beneifit from all the research done and that a cure will be developed within the next few years!
4 :
This question often comes up at Childrenwithdiabetes.com. The average honeymoon is about 12-18 months, but apparently some people can go on for up to 4 years! Tight control is what makes the difference. Good luck.
5 :
That "honeymoon" period will vary from one person to another. I am Type 2 and started on pills. After 12 years, I am now on insulin. I chose Intense therapy, meaning that I take two different types of insulin and I take multiple shots per day. I use a fast acting at meals and an ultra slow acting in the evening. I use Novolog and Lantus. For me, I started insulin with an A1c at 13.9 and 18 months later I have an A1c of 6.2. I'm hoping my next A1c will be 5.9 or 6.0. My honeymoon period was only two months. From what you have mentioned, your daughter is on a low dose of insulin. As time passes, she will adjust and will moderate her eating. I believe everyone does that. At first they are super cautious. Then, as they notice their own reactions, they start "playing" with their diet and what happens with the insulin and blood glucose readings. I happen to think it's a human response. Just the same, the amount of insulin will increase as she adjusts to what will be her "normal," long term behavior. Since she is new to all this, and at her age, may be Type 1, she should be monitored very closely. Several teen friends were all over the place with their lack of control - BG ranging from 50's to well over 400's. They think they are still normal, don't want to stand out, etc., and don't do what they must as diabetics. They are teens, after all, and will live forever. They must get and maintain BG control or diabetes will cut their lives short with complications. You might look into an insulin pump when she gets used to shots. The pump can be hidden and will give great control for teens. They are not cheap! But, for a teenager, it can be a lifesaver. Good Luck with your daughter.
6 :
i went thro the honey moon period for about 5 or 6 months. I think it would depend on the person tho





Read more discussions :