Friday, June 20, 2008

Is Charcot Marie Tooth Disease associated with Diabetes Mellitus


Is Charcot Marie Tooth Disease associated with Diabetes Mellitus?
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes about 3 years ago. It has progerssively gotten worse. I was diagnosed with Diabetic Polyneuropathy last year as well. I was always described as a "clumbsy" child. My mother said I was the only person she knew that could fall down without taking a step. My neuro says I have a gait disturbance but has done nothing as far as telling my why. I had some foot pain the last three days and had an x-ray done. My Internist told me I have arthritis and bone spurs but it could be Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. Is there any information out there linking Charcot Marie Tooth Disease and Diabetes?
Diabetes - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Talk to your doctor! If you have questions about such a serious condition as diabetes you shouldn't be asking your questions here. Please, call your doctor and make an appointment. Take the time to write down all of your questions/concerns prior to your appointment. That way you'll make the best of your time with him/her. Webmd.com is a good source for answering medical questions and preparing for appointments. God Bless!
2 :
Are you confused on the name? Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease is named for the physicians who identified the disease, Charcot, Marie, and Tooth. It is not the same as Charcot's foot disease, a neuropathic joint disease that is a common complication of diabetes mellitus. http://www.neurologychannel.com/charcot/ For more info on Charcot's foot disease, look here: http://www.diabetes.usyd.edu.au/foot/Charcot1.html
3 :
No it is not related to diabetes mellitus. Actually it is not known how it is caused, but it is a muscular disease and causes foot drop, muscle weakness, etc.
4 :
Charcot Marie Tooth Disease is a genetic abnormality and is not associated with diabetes. Diabetic amyopathy may also be a consideration.





 Read more discussions :