Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Issue with Diabetes Mellitus


Issue with Diabetes Mellitus?
Greetings! I have been NIDDM for 5 years. Because of insurance issues I have been off and on my meds for the past 2-3 years. I have now been faithful to my meds for the past 3 weeks. I need reminders on how to eat. This morning my fasting Glucose reading was 135. Two hours after a 1/2 cup of coffee and an Englsih muffin (both halves) with p'nut butter, it went up to 202! Did I eat too much? Not enough? What's up with the nausea? Again, is it because I haven't eaten enough? And the dehydration? Also, what are some good "grab-n-go" snacks? I can't exactly eat yogurt while I drive! Ideas? Thanks!
Diabetes - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
With type 2 diabetes, the two key words to remember for dietary choices are "low carb". The lower the total carbs (not just sugars) in a food are, the less it will affect your blood glucose level. Some people report that coffee/caffeine appears to increase their glucose levels as well, but I don't know what scientific support there may be for this effect. (I've never been a coffee drinker myself, so I haven't really looked into it.) The nausea is a common side-effect of oral diabetes medications (I think I've mostly heard it mentioned in conjunction with metformin), but it should pass within a month or two. Since you say you've been back on your meds for three weeks already, you might want to mention the nausea to your doctor if it persists much longer. Also, when trying to get your glucose level down, don't forget about exercise - it's not all just about diet and drugs.
2 :
there are many ways to control your diabetes, I am one and I fight this dilemma every day. I have found by talking to my doctor who can recommend a nutritionist and also reading the various blogs of others experience with sugar levels, I have been able to get my sugar under control Be sure to look at the American Diabetes Association website for some hints and help.





Read more discussions :