Sunday, May 20, 2012

Does Insulin Resistance or too much insulin in the bloodstream make you fat


Does Insulin Resistance or too much insulin in the bloodstream make you fat?
I'm going to be doing some blood tests to see why I'm thirsty and peeing all the time. In the meantime, the doctor told me to read up on Diabetes Insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus and even Psychogenic Polydipsia. I'm 46 and have always been very active. I lift weights and run about 25 - 30 miles per week. I've been experiencing CRAZY thirst since July and I've also noticed that I've been getting fat around the middle. My diet hasn't changed (if anything, sometimes I don't think I eat enough). No one in my family has diabetes, although I have an autoimmune thyroid disease. I suppose that the belly fat can also be attributed to middle-age spread, but I'm not overweight. I don't know yet if I have some type of diabetes, but I'm wondering if the belly fat, in addition to the increased thirst and the frequent peeing points to a diabetes diagnosis? PS It didn't occur to me to mention the belly fat to my new doctor when I saw him a week ago. I guess I'll mention it when I see him for the blood test results. I'd sure appreaciate some comments from anyone who's experienced something similar. Thanks!! I should also add that I've been having leg pain/muscle cramps which I also didn't mention to the doctor because I just assumed they were musculoskeletal related (maybe running related). Sorry to be so long-winded.
Diabetes - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
For info on Diabetes go to Blood Sugar 101. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php Insulin resistance causes weight gain.Weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight รข€“ for most people, excess weight is from high fat storage; the fat in IR is generally stored in and around abdominal organs in both males and females. It is currently suspected that hormone production in that fat are a precipitating cause of insulin resistance Primary polydipsia or psychogenic polydipsia is a special form of polydipsia. It is usually associated with a patient's increasing fluid intake due to the sensation of having a dry mouth. When the term "psychogenic polydipsia" is used, it implies that the condition is caused by mental disorders. However, the dry mouth is often due to phenothiazine medications used in some mental disorders, rather than the underlying condition.Psychogenic polydipsia is a type of polydypsia described in patients with mental illnesses and/or the developmentally disabled. It is present in a subset of people with schizophrenia. These patients, most often with a long history of illness, exhibit enlarged ventricles and shrunken cortex on MRI, making the physiological mechanism difficult to isolate from the psychogenic. It is a serious disorder and often leads to institutionalization as it can be very difficult to manage outside the inpatient setting. It should be taken very seriously - it can be life threatening as serum sodium is diluted to an extent that seizures and cardiac arrest can occur. Patients have been known to seek fluids from any source possible. Leg muscle cramps, particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes. You could also buy a Glucometer at walmart for $20 and test yourself for Diabetes. Diabetes Insipidus is divided into four types, each of which has a different cause and must be treated differently. The most common type of DI is caused by a lack of vasopressin, a hormone that normally acts upon the kidney to reduce urine output by increasing the concentration of the urine. Take care Tin





 Read more discussions :