Friday, August 24, 2012

My great pyrennes


My great pyrennes?
I have a nine year old Great Pyrenees (male), named Bear. I took him in four years ago after he was dumped in the woods out of town. He was heart worm positive, so I had him treated. The treatment resulted in him developing Diabetes Mellitus. The diabetes then took his eye sight. You can't tell though because he runs and plays and gets around very well. The reason I am writing is because I rent a house. Bear loves to dig deep holes. I am in trouble of losing my home because of these holes. This is very hard for me, but I am hoping you could tell me how to find him a wonderful home. He is a wonderful dog. It would have to be someone willing to inject him with insulin twice a day. I really wish I could keep him, but my family needs a home too. Would you tell me who I could contact? Thank you very much.
Dogs - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
www.petfinder.com Do a 'pet search' for his breed, look for a rescue in your area or nationwide- in this dire situation, let a rescue rehome, don't try to do it yourself.
2 :
you could put an ad in your local paper and see where that goes, you could call any vet and put posting up regarding your dog. why do you have to get rid of your dog? cause he is digging holes? welll you can be evicted from your home cause of that, as long as you cover the holes up afterwards then it shouldn't be a problem.\ you could also find an organization that rescues dogs and go from there
3 :
Instead of getting rid of the dog, train him not to dig. Dogs dig for a number of reasons, often just to release pent up energy. Is there a park nearby that you can go and run with him, play fetch, etc. Anything to get him out and moving. if the spot he digs is the same, then you can also put something in the hole and barely cover it. Something like a blown up balloon. Then, as he digs, his nails will pop the balloon. In theory, this will scare him. Usually only a few times and he will get the message that digging is not good. And make sure when he's outside that someone is with him. As soon as he starts to dig, give a firm "no dig" and refocus his attention on a game of fetch or something else. If you absolutely must give hiim up, I would suggest checking your local area for the Great Pyr rescue organization.
4 :
You can try your local animal rescue organization. I know Great Pyrenees qualify for the Gentle Giants organization I think in Southern California. They take all kinds of large dogs in with all types of conditions and place them in loving families. They have a strict adoption policy so that you know that he will be placed in a good place. Or you can try finding a place for him by place an ad on petfinder.com. There are a lot of places that you can place him where they wouldn't put him down if you're willing to look. Good Luck
5 :
Look for a rescue in your state. You can stop his digging if you simply bury his own poo in a hole where he digs. He could still dig elsewhere, but it will stop that hole where you put it. This works on all dogs. Also, at this age, you must know he is near the end of his natural life span. If the unthinkable happens, and you have to have the dog put down, just KNOW in your heart of hearts that he has been as happy as possible for the last 4 years. Even if you find a home for him, he won't have a long time left. With the extent of his illness, putting him to sleep might be an option if you have to do it. I am so sorry you can't keep him. I can tell you love him.





Read more discussions :