Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why do anti-diabetic oral medications quit working


Why do anti-diabetic oral medications quit working?
I am a nursing major and am finishing up a final project about type 2 diabetes mellitus, I have one more question and I am stumped! I have looked all over the internet and haven't found a direct answer. So can any one help me? I need to know why oral meds for diabetes lose their effectiveness. (Not speaking about insulin btw, just oral medications.)
Diabetes - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The only thing I can think of is that some oral anti-diabetics, like glipizide, work by causing the functioning beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin, which leads to a decrease in blood glucose. Over time, even people with well controlled DM 2 experience a deterioration of beta cells, decreasing the effectiveness of the medication
2 :
your body can come immune to them. if this happens you need to go to the doctor and start a different pill so your diabetes will not go crazy and you get sick.
3 :
Dont worry. first you need courage then treatment and after Pray to GOD. All will be OK. Any way Please visit this page you can all answers about your all questions. Get well soon!!! May God Bless You!!! http://thediabeteszone.com/
4 :
Diabetes is a disease that degenerates your body's ability to create/use insulin effectively. As it progresses, it becomes more and more difficult for the meds to control it. That's why so many people with long-time diabetes have to move to using insulin.
5 :
please visit this site u can get good answers about ur all questions. http://thediabeteszone.com/ Get well soon!!! May God Bless You!!!
6 :
^I'm type 2. You probably know, type 2's make insulin but can't utilize it properly. There are many reasons pills become infective, for some there bodies become used to it and build up a tolerance. I was doing great on pills, down to a half a day, then I went through a very stressful year, as the stress got worse, the pills no longer worked, I tried everything including Byetta, nothing worked until I went on an insulin pump, I'm telling you this because stress plays a factor as well. Sometimes there is no answer. I also found this on the site below: Diabetes pills sometimes stop working after a few months or years. The cause is often unknown. This doesn't mean your diabetes is worse. When this happens, oral combination therapy can help. Even if diabetes pills do bring your blood glucose levels near the normal range, you may still need to take insulin if you have a severe infection or need surgery. Pills may not be able to control blood glucose levels during these stressful times when blood glucose levels shoot up
7 :
I am on oral meds for Type 2, aand from what I have read, sometimes a body can build up a resistance to the meds. It depends on what med it is, and the physiology of the specific person. Try looking at the American Diabetes Association website, or Diabetes Forecast (the magazine for the ADA).




 Read more discussions :