Friday, January 4, 2013

Can someone help me with this nursing scenario


Can someone help me with this nursing scenario?
I'm in nursing school and I just wanted some opinions on handling this med administration scenario before my exam coming up. (I don't want to miss anything) Please tell me what nursing considerations I should be aware of when administering these drugs. The scenario includes a man with afib who had a fall at home recently and has fractured some ribs in his left side. He has a history of type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension. He has no allergies and his blood glucose levels are stabilized when using insulin. My initial assessment would reveals a blood glucose of 6.4, temp 36.8, apical pulse 68 (reg), resps 22, BP 130/70, SPO2 96% RA, pain rating of 6/10 on his ribs, His meds are: Digoxin, morphine, Restoril, heparin, hydrochlorothiazide and humulin R and humulin N insulins. Thanks!
Other - General Health Care - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hi, I don't know if I will be of much help; I'm only a first year nursing student. I would say, of course start off with the recommended or suggested dosage of medication prescribed by a physician or the nurse and take vital signs q2h for a little bit and increase to q4h. Taking his blood glucose levels. Observe his nonverbal expressions and I guess you can ask him how he is doing, how has the pain changed, and what not? Definitely look at side effects and whether or not the medications are effective. Is that a safe combination of medications to hand out? o__o I'm not too sure :( .. ahaha. Definitely consider cultural impacts or his beliefs/values as well and what he thinks of taking all of the meds.





 Read more discussions :