Friday, August 8, 2008

What does obesity have to do with diabetes mellitus type 2 and why


What does obesity have to do with diabetes mellitus type 2 and why ?

Diabetes - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Obesity is a sign that you've had "metabolic syndrome" for too long and that you're overworking your endocrine system which causes excess fat storage and "insulin resistance". For those who are genetically susceptible, you can become type two diabetic as a result. FYI, you don't have to be obese to become type two diabetic. You do have to eat a lot of crappy food, though. It's a bit more complicated than that and if you're really interested, you can read the articles in the source box below:
2 :
Being obese or overweight puts you at significant risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Four out of five people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese. “One of the links with obesity is that fat induces a mild, low-grade inflammation throughout the body that contributes to heart disease and diabetes,” Excess fat, especially abdominal fat, also changes the way that your body responds to insulin, leading to a condition called insulin resistance. With this condition, your cells cannot use insulin to process blood sugar out of the blood, resulting in high blood sugar levels. While not everyone with insulin resistance develops diabetes, people with insulin resistance are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes.
3 :
Obesity is generally (and I do NOT mean everyone who is obese) a result of poor eating habits and lack of exercise. From what my doc told me, (I am obese and it IS my fault) is that I was eating way to many refined carbs, and not exercising to lose the extra sugar. The extra sugar is being stored as fat, and this layer of fat is preventing the insulin that my body is producing from doing it's job. He honestly feels that I had maintained healthy eating habits and exercised like I should of have, that I might not now have diabetes. Since being diagnosed, I have been eating a properly carb controlled diet and exercising. I started out on the following meds: insulin 25cc of 70/30 before each meal, 5mg glyburide, and metformin 500mg 2 x's a day. I have went from 213 pounds (4'10") to 192 pounds and I am no longer on the insulin or glyburide, only metformin. So even losing that much, eating right, and exercising has made a major difference.





 Read more discussions :