Friday, September 4, 2009

Do you think my cat has Diabetes Mellitus


Do you think my cat has Diabetes Mellitus?
Obesity Genetic predisposition (diabetes is more prevalent in males) Poor nutrition Hormonal abnormalities Stress If you cat appears weak or thirsty, frequently urinates, has rapid weight loss, is depressed, or has abdominal pain, he could be diabetic. (that came from this link, in case you want to read more ---->) http://www.hillspet.com/cat-care/cat-diseases/diabetes-mellitus-in-cats.html My cats are over-weight, lazy, hungry a lot, and sometimes thirsty [they don't need all the symptoms to have it] We switched them to wet food, because dry food causes diabetes, but do you think either of my cats could have it? It said fixed males are more likely to get it... (Information from --->) http://www.cat-dog-diabetes.com/cats-diabetes-mellitus.asp They came from a shelter, and its been pretty hard trying to get them to lose weight. It also said something about poor coat health being a sign ... my cats coat is not shiny at all, and won't let me brush it. Sometimes he lets the girl lick him clean, but he won't do it himself. Female, Name: Bella Age: 3 Spayed: Yes Microchipped: Yes Male, Name: Apollo Age: 4 Neutured: Yes Microchipped: Yes wtf, I don't care about what you are selling! I want to know about my cats health..I am concerned.
Cats - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
only a vet can determine that. Good for you for switching to wet food though, it's a start. Make sure it's the gravy-free kind with no grain.
2 :
Mostly you will see increased thirst and urination, so the litterbox will be very full all the time. It is easy to diagnose with a simple blood test or urine test, so going to the vet to be sure is not a bad idea. But the likelihood of BOTH of them being diabetic is pretty low. I bet they are just fat, lazy housecats, like mine! Wet food is a good idea, you can supplement with dry, but either way watch calories because it would be healthy for them to lose weight for many reasons if they are too heavy.
3 :
Does it have frequent urination? That's a sign of diabetes M.






 Read more discussions :